Blog Listing
- @Number71
- Before We Go blog
- Best Fantasy Books HQ
- Book Reporter
- Bookworm Blues
- Charlotte's Library
- Civilian Reader
- CrimeReads
- Critical Mass
- Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews
- Everything is Nice
- FanFiAddict
- Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' News & Reviews
- Fantasy Cafe
- Fantasy Faction
- Fantasy Literature
- Gold Not Glittering
- GoodKindles
- Grimdark Magazine
- Hellnotes
- io9
- Jabberwock
- Jeff VanderMeer
- King of the Nerds
- Layers of Thought
- Lynn's Book Blog
- Neth Space
- Novel Notions
- Only The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist
- Pyr-O-Mania
- Reactor Mag
- Realms Of My Mind
- Rob's Blog O' Stuff
- Rockstarlit Bookasylum
- SciFiChick.com
- SFF Insiders
- Smorgasbord Fantasia
- Speculative Book Review
- Stainless Steel Droppings
- Tez Says
- The Antick Musings of G.B.H. Hornswoggler, Gent.
- The B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog
- The Bibliosanctum
- The Fantasy Hive
- The Fantasy Inn
- The Nocturnal Library
- The OF Blog
- The Qwillery
- The Reading Stray
- The Speculative Scotsman
- The Vinciolo Journal
- The Wertzone
- Thoughts Stained With Ink
- Val's Random Comments
- Voyager Books
- Walker of Worlds
- Whatever
- Whispers & Wonder
Book Info
Dark Fantasy
Release Date
August 4, 2023
Formats
Ebook, Paperback
Length
631 pages
Series
Turesia Untamed
About the Author
David hails from the humid subtropics of the southeastern US, where he writes fantasy fiction, plays bass guitar, explores the wilderness, and kicks it with his family. He's adept at trouble-shooting, thanks largely to his proficiency at trouble-making, and puts both to use creatively to bring to life unlikely creatures, unique settings and situations, and villainous heroes.
He posts monthly news on his blog - Silexare dot com - and is on Twitter/X, Facebook, and IG (as David T List or DavidTList).
He posts monthly news on his blog - Silexare dot com - and is on Twitter/X, Facebook, and IG (as David T List or DavidTList).
Chels
For a chunky book, the pacing and intrigue keep you interested throughout this book. Violence and Vigilance is certainly full of violence and plenty of vigilance too! This book brings almost new meaning to multi-perspective with strong characters and intersecting storylines. I enjoyed the depth this book has with vivid worldbuilding and an almost ancient feeling culture that is brought with every page. I did get lost a few times at different places with the varying plot points and certainly some plot points could have been trimmed down. This is definitely one for those who love an epic fantasy.
Jack
Violence & Vigilance is the story of two rival nations, which are polar opposites culturally except for a mutual dream of a future wherein one destroys the other, and the characters from each nation who (only half-intentionally) come into conflict with the autocratic immortals who rule them.
I have mixed feelings about this novel. On one hand, the worldbuilding is genuinely fantastic. Forvhylda is brutal, violent, and corrupt. Its ruler entertains the masses with endless gladiatorial spectacles while terrorizing them with the huge menagerie of monstrous beasts under his command. The integration of these beasts into the story (especially the land sharks that fill a cavalry-adjacent role) makes the setting feel fresh and different from your standard medieval grimdark hellhole. The rival nation of Augsan, by contrast, resembles some sort of totalitarian cult. The monks who run the country sing their nature magic and preach harmony, all while oppressing the native population and scheming for power amongst themselves.
On the other hand, I was less happy with elements of the broader plot and structure. We get POVs from at least 8-10 characters over the course of the novel, some of which feel like unnecessary distractions. Separately, the two main POVs both spend the first third of the book in a relatively passive headspace — they either lack choice altogether or amble along paths chosen by others, going through the motions without any particular sense of agency or momentum. This made sense narratively, but made the story feel aimless even though a fair bit was happening. Finally, I found the plotting a bit undercooked. On at least 3 occasions, the author used major coincidences to move the story in the desired direction, which felt contrived and stretched my suspension of disbelief.
Łukasz
I'm not a fan of long books. I like quick hooks and novellas. Of course, there are long books and series that slowly win me over. Violence & Vigilance kicked the door off its hinges instead.
It blew me away.
The cast is amazing. There are a lot of POV characters here. Really, a lot. Normally that's where epic fantasy starts losing me. Faces blur together. I forget who's who. Not here. Every single viewpoint feels alive. Everyone has a distinct voice, a different way of looking at the world, and a personality strong enough to steal every scene they're in. Even characters who appear for only a handful of chapters leave an impression. That's incredibly hard to pull off, yet David T. List makes it look effortless.
Irdessa and Basalt Kale carry much of the story, and I loved both of them for completely different reasons. Irdessa is tough, capable, and haunted by everything she's lost. Kale begins as a failure searching for purpose, and watching him slowly realize just how rotten the world around him really is makes for a fantastic character arc. But if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Bravensi. Every time she appeared, I knew something memorable (and very, very bad for her enemies) was about to happen. Heck, I'm even intrigued by Obsidia who's more of an antagonist.
Then there's Kraus. On paper, he's almost cartoonishly over the top: drunk, filthy, loud, self-destructive, and utterly shameless. In practice, he's one of the most entertaining characters I've come across in years. He's equal parts tragic and hilarious. One minute he's making you laugh with his complete lack of dignity, the next he's breaking your heart. I couldn't get enough of him.
The worldbuilding deserves just as much praise. Turesia feels ancient, brutal, and strange. The cultures are distinct. The creatures are equally memorable. The Uergatha are fascinating, the Orcanes are pure nightmare fuel, and every new place or beast made me want to keep turning pages. Better yet, the world isn't explained through endless exposition. You simply live in it alongside the characters until everything starts clicking into place.
Calling this book dark would be an understatement. It's vicious. People are butchered, tortured, betrayed, and maimed. Nobody is safe. If graphic violence isn't your thing, this probably won't change your mind. Thankfully, List knows exactly when to ease off the pressure. The dark humor running through the novel stops it from becoming misery for misery's sake. The jokes grow naturally from the characters, especially Kraus, whose solution to almost every problem seems to involve bad decisions and even worse timing.
Is it perfect? Not quite. It's a long book, and yes, I think it could have been trimmed in places. A few political and planning sections stretch a little longer than they need to. Some POV characters aren't necessary to progress the plot, but they're damn fun to follow even for a chapter. Under normal circumstances I'd probably complain more. Here, I honestly didn't mind that much because I simply enjoyed spending time with these characters.
As much as I enjoyed battles, monsters, and worldbuilding, I'm most impressed with the power of characterization. Epic fantasy often promises a huge cast, but only a handful truly matter. Violence & Vigilance makes nearly everyone memorable. That alone is a remarkable achievement.
This is brutal, ambitious fantasy with heart hidden beneath all the blood, broken bones, and questionable life choices. I absolutely loved it and can't wait for the sequel.
Violence & Vigilance
David T. List
Chels
7.0
Jack
7.5
Łukasz
9.5
Team Score
8.0
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






0 comments: