- Adventures In Reading
- Beauty In Ruins
- Best Fantasy Books HQ
- Bitten By Books
- Bookworm Blues
- Charlotte's Library
- Civilian Reader
- Critical Mass
- Curated Fantasy Books
- Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews
- Edi's Book Lighthouse
- Everything is Nice
- Falcata Times
- Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' News & Reviews
- Fantasy Cafe
- Fantasy Literature
- Far Beyond Reality
- Genre Reader
- Jeff VanderMeer
- King of the Nerds
- Layers of Thought
- Neth Space
- Only The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist
- Rob's Blog O' Stuff
- Smorgasbord Fantasia
- Speculative Book Review
- Stainless Steel Droppings
- Tez Says
- The Antick Musings of G.B.H. Hornswoggler, Gent.
- The Bibliosanctum
- The Book Smugglers
- The Nocturnal Library
- The OF Blog
- The Speculative Scotsman
- The Vinciolo Journal
- The Wertzone
- Tip the Wink
- Val's Random Comments
- Voyager Books
- Walker of Worlds
- ► 2016 (143)
- ► 2015 (136)
- ► 2014 (155)
- ► 2013 (260)
- ► 2012 (287)
- PRESS RELEASE: Bantam Books & Dynamite Entertainme...
- “The Last Werewolf” by Glen Duncan (Reviewed by Ro...
- Interview with Cameron Haley (Interviewed by Mihir...
- “The Watchers” Video Roundup
- Winners of “The Watchers” Giveaway!!!
- “Heaven’s Shadow” by David S. Goyer & Michael Cass...
- SPOTLIGHT: Book Country
- “Miserere: An Autumn Tale” by Teresa Frohock (Revi...
- “The Map of Time” by Félix J. Palma (Reviewed by R...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Seven)!!!
- THE INDIE DAY GIVEAWAY FOLLOWUP: M.R. Mathias Disc...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Six)!!!
- NEWS: Orbit Books Snaps up an Urban Fantasy Trilog...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Five)!!!
- “Fun & Games” by Duane Swierczynski (Reviewed by R...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Four)!!!
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Three)!!!
- PRESS RELEASE: Orbit UK acquires the IRON DRUID CH...
- “Leviathan Wakes” by James S.A. Corey (Reviewed by...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Two)!!!
- “Serial Killers Uncut” by Blake Crouch & Jack Kilb...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part One)!!!
- “Magic Slays” by Ilona Andrews w/Bonus Review of “...
- “The Watchers” by Jon Steele (Reviewed by Robert T...
- THE INDIE DAY GIVEAWAY: Win an AMAZON KINDLE featu...
- PRESS RELEASE: The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But He...
- ▼ June (26)
- ► 2010 (346)
- ► 2009 (466)
- ► 2008 (376)
Tuesday, June 14, 2011
Order “The Watchers” HERE
Read FBC’s Review of “The Watchers”
In support of the June 9, 2011 UK Hardcover publication of Jon Steele’s The Watchers (priced £12.99) via Bantam Press, Fantasy Book Critic is hosting a series of videos that discuss the different locations found in the book. The first three videos are linked above. Today’s video, which covers Escaliers du Marché, can be found below, followed by a brief explanation from the author, Jon Steele:
No one is really sure when the covered stairs of Escaliers du Marché were first built. Written records date back to the 13th century of the Middle Ages, or as Marc Rochat would say, ‘Middles of Ages’ but historians are sure there have been steps since there was a cathedral. The wood steps follow the highest of the seven hills of Lausanne up from the centre of medieval Lausanne at Place de la Palud (very near the door of Café du Grütli), to very doors of Lausanne Cathedral.
Set along the oldest buildings of the town, Escaliers du Marché is much loved by les lausannois, me too. They have a magical feel about them that seem to transport a person back in time. I instilled that feeling with Rochat in the open of the story as he climbs the steps. The world seems to bend in the corner of Rochat’s eyes and he slips into the place he calls ‘beforetimes.’
And as an English speaker, I loved the sound of the words themselves; so much so that I end both the first sentence of chapter one, and the last sentence of the book with…Escaliers du Marché...
In addition to the videos, Bantam Press has agreed to give away ONE AUTOGRAPHED COPY of Jon Steele’s The Watchers for each video, for a total of SEVEN WINNERS. All you have to do is leave a comment in the post, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Name, Mailing Address, and the subject: WATCHERS. However, to double your chances of winning, link this post or one of the videos on your blog, Facebook, Twitter page, etc., and you will be entered TWICE! The giveaway is open to Anyone and the seven winners will be randomly selected after the last video is posted on Friday, June 17. Thank you for entering and Good Luck!
12:00 PM | Posted by Robert | | Edit Post