- Adventures In Reading
- Beauty In Ruins
- Best Fantasy Books HQ
- Bitten By Books
- Bookworm Blues
- Charlotte's Library
- Civilian Reader
- Critical Mass
- Curated Fantasy Books
- Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews
- Edi's Book Lighthouse
- Everything is Nice
- Falcata Times
- Fantasy & SciFi Lovin' News & Reviews
- Fantasy Cafe
- Fantasy Literature
- Far Beyond Reality
- Genre Reader
- Jeff VanderMeer
- King of the Nerds
- Layers of Thought
- Neth Space
- Only The Best Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Pat's Fantasy Hotlist
- Rob's Blog O' Stuff
- Smorgasbord Fantasia
- Speculative Book Review
- Stainless Steel Droppings
- Tez Says
- The Antick Musings of G.B.H. Hornswoggler, Gent.
- The Bibliosanctum
- The Book Smugglers
- The Nocturnal Library
- The OF Blog
- The Speculative Scotsman
- The Vinciolo Journal
- The Wertzone
- Tip the Wink
- Val's Random Comments
- Voyager Books
- Walker of Worlds
- ► 2016 (94)
- ► 2015 (136)
- ► 2014 (155)
- ► 2013 (260)
- ► 2012 (287)
- PRESS RELEASE: Bantam Books & Dynamite Entertainme...
- “The Last Werewolf” by Glen Duncan (Reviewed by Ro...
- Interview with Cameron Haley (Interviewed by Mihir...
- “The Watchers” Video Roundup
- Winners of “The Watchers” Giveaway!!!
- “Heaven’s Shadow” by David S. Goyer & Michael Cass...
- SPOTLIGHT: Book Country
- “Miserere: An Autumn Tale” by Teresa Frohock (Revi...
- “The Map of Time” by Félix J. Palma (Reviewed by R...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Seven)!!!
- THE INDIE DAY GIVEAWAY FOLLOWUP: M.R. Mathias Disc...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Six)!!!
- NEWS: Orbit Books Snaps up an Urban Fantasy Trilog...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Five)!!!
- “Fun & Games” by Duane Swierczynski (Reviewed by R...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Four)!!!
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Three)!!!
- PRESS RELEASE: Orbit UK acquires the IRON DRUID CH...
- “Leviathan Wakes” by James S.A. Corey (Reviewed by...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part Two)!!!
- “Serial Killers Uncut” by Blake Crouch & Jack Kilb...
- “The Watchers” Video & Giveaway (Part One)!!!
- “Magic Slays” by Ilona Andrews w/Bonus Review of “...
- “The Watchers” by Jon Steele (Reviewed by Robert T...
- THE INDIE DAY GIVEAWAY: Win an AMAZON KINDLE featu...
- PRESS RELEASE: The Terry Pratchett Anywhere But He...
- ▼ June (26)
- ► 2010 (346)
- ► 2009 (466)
- ► 2008 (376)
Thursday, June 16, 2011
Order “The Watchers” HERE
Read FBC’s Review of “The Watchers”
In support of the June 9, 2011 UK Hardcover publication of Jon Steele’s The Watchers (priced £12.99) via Bantam Press, Fantasy Book Critic is hosting a series of videos that discuss the different locations found in the book. The first five videos are linked above. Today’s video, which covers the Climb up The Belfry in Lausanne Cathedral, can be found below, followed by a brief explanation from the author, Jon Steele:
It was six years ago when I first learned of le guet de Lausanne, the man who calls the hour through the night from the belfry of the cathedral. A friend and I were coming from dinner and he pointed out the man with the lantern high in the tower, just after the eleven o’clock bells. He said, ‘You will never see this anywhere else in the world.’
Once, all Gothic cathedrals had such a man. He was one of the most important people in the town. He watched for fires and invaders approaching the medieval walls of the town. As the world developed cathedrals got rid of their ‘watchers,’ all except Lausanne. For nearly 800 years there has been a watcher in the belfry of Lausanne Cathedral every night without fail.
My friend knew le guet de Lausanne and telephoned the tower and said he wanted to bring ‘an American writer’ to meet him, and that we were bringing wine. (You want a late night invite in Switzerland, tell them you have wine. Works every time).
We arrived at the bottom of the belfry tower and my friend called up, ‘Renato!’ A few moments later this shadow of a man, in a black floppy hat, leaned through the railings. He waved and disappeared.
‘Where’d he go?’ I asked.
‘To get the key.’ my friend said.
Just then the shadow of a man in the black floppy hat reappeared and began to lower a key on a long line of string.
‘You must be kidding me.’ I said.
‘Welcome to Switzerland.’ my friend said.
In addition to the videos, Bantam Press has agreed to give away ONE AUTOGRAPHED COPY of Jon Steele’s The Watchers for each video, for a total of SEVEN WINNERS. All you have to do is leave a comment in the post, or send an email to email@example.com with your Name, Mailing Address, and the subject: WATCHERS. However, to double your chances of winning, link this post or one of the videos on your blog, Facebook, Twitter page, etc., and you will be entered TWICE! The giveaway is open to Anyone and the seven winners will be randomly selected after the last video is posted on Friday, June 17. Thank you for entering and Good Luck!
12:00 PM | Posted by Robert | | Edit Post